Wednesday, September 21, 2011

What a simple yet amazing machine

Coffee shops are amazing places for people watching. This morning I'm sitting at the Starbucks at Northgate and I5 in Seattle wasting away a little time before pucking Jeska up at the airport.

This particular Starbucks is located in the same lot as a gas station. So not only do I get people watching but also car and motorcycle watching.

Its just fun to see what people are sloging to work in.  The econobox commuter high mileage no frills junk that just gets you there but does nothing else. Massive luxury SUVs that give you a pedicure and do your hair for you while you drive. Its all here.

So far my favorite it the 60 something in full race leathers on a literbike. Retired or CEO?  Some would probably call it his midlife crisis. I see a Guy that knows what he wants and is having fun with it.

Then of course there is me sitting her with my now stripped down KLR650 work horse. Thing has 30,000 miles on it and I know the odometer did not work for the last 2 years.  Something about this thumper "do it all" machine makes it kinda stand out against the morning commuter landscape.

I spent the last two days getting these bikes caught up on all their maintenance. Oil, batteries,chains, sprockets, etc. Such simple machines in the generatuon of quad turbocharged 16 cylinder supercars. Yet there is a certain beauty in the pure functionality and simplicity. Or...maybe its just that I cleaned some of the dirt off?

Probably time to finish my banana, save my phone battery and head to the airport. Should be interesting picking up Jeska and all her motorcycle gear on my little KLR.

No comments:

Post a Comment